The following causes of death turned up when Virginia's 1912-1939 vital records were transferred to "high-tech computer disks" in the early 1990s:
- Sat on an upturned milk pail and got a splinter which became infected.
- Found dead on a whorehouse floor.
- "[S]hot to death by Petter [sic] Underwood in a drunken row over a still tub and a mean woman."
- Fell from a tree, landed astride a lower limb, and developed gangrenous testicles.
- Given "too many cold meals" by his wife.
[Source: The Virginian-Pilot, Jan 10, 1993]