I learned yesterday that President Andrew Johnson was buried with his head resting on a copy of the Constitution. (I had to assure one of my nieces that, no, the president wasn't decapitated.) Here are some other unusual items people have carried to their graves.
- Just last April, a man in India was buried in the car he had owned since 1958.
- Reuben Smith was buried in 1899 sitting in his recliner with a checkerboard on his lap.
- Sir Walter Raleigh was buried with his favorite pipe and a tin of tobacco
- Bela Lugosi was buried in a black Dracula cape.
- Humphrey Bogart was buried with a small whistle inscribed, "If you need anything, just whistle."
- Bob Marley was buried with "his guitar, a soccer ball, a marijuana bud, a ring given to him by the Prince Asfa Wossen of Ethiopia and a Bible."
- Canadian Mountie Peter Schiemann was buried with a flashlight and bag of potato chips. ("He always said, 'If I was to die, bury me with a bag of chips and a flashlight because it's dark and I'll get hungry,'" said his sister, Julia Schiemann.)
- The guy in this commercial was buried with his lawn mower.