Children have long been told that a mound of stones in First Presbyterian Church cemetery in Concord, N. C., marks the resting place of a Native American chief. Truth is, the rocks were put there by university president William Macon Coleman in 1910.
On his visit to the cemetery of his Mahan ancestors, he found it full, abandoned (the old church had moved to the corner of Spring Street and West Depot Street, which is now Cabarrus Avenue) and rundown, seedy and jungle-like.
Coleman, [E. Ray] King wrote, decided to honor his Mahans, so he brought big rocks from across Cabarrus County, perhaps some even from old Mahan dwellings, and left them in the garden. (King didn't know how he planned to use them.)
Then, without explanation, Coleman left town, leaving no directions as to their use.
"Public memory is short," King wrote, and during a later cleaning of the graveyard, a worker dutifully tossed the stones into a pile.
Voila! Instant mound. [Link]